Wednesday, September 5, 2012

What if NASCAR had a Draft?






Since millions of people are gearing up for the start of the NFL season this week, there have been many parties for fantasy football.  All the talk about football and drafting players on fantasy teams led me to think about what if NASCAR had a draft.

Below is my list of potential draft picks that would be on my team. Going with the theme of football, I decided to choose 11 drivers that would be in my starting lineup and a few drivers that could come off the bench and perform like starters if needed.

Here is my list of draft picks if there was a draft and my reasons for their selection.


1)   Jimmie Johnson – every team needs a star player. In football it is often the     quarterback and there’s no better person to lead my team than the 5 time champion Jimmie Johnson, period.

2)   Kyle Busch - every star quarterback needs the support of another outstanding player. There’s not a better person with this ability than Busch. Perhaps the most skilled driver, Kyle is the perfect guy to ride the tails of Johnson.

3)   Ricky Stenhouse Jr. – Like a wide receiver, I want someone that’s fast and one who can get out in front of the defender to make an awesome catch. Stenhouse Jr. provides that and would be the perfect fit for this role.

4)   Kurt Busch- Love him or hate him, similar to Michael Vick, Kurt provides talent that only a few have. His ability to maneuver around in a bad car and turn nothing into something catapults Kurt into my starting lineup because the skill is there, he just has to fix the off the field (track) stuff.

5)   Brad Keselowski- Like a tight end or an offensive lineman, you need someone who is tough and willing to get down and dirty to win the game. Keselowski not only brings toughness, but he brings a great attitude that transfers into success.

6)   Kasey Kahne- Every team needs a Tom Brady. Johnson is my quarterback leading the team, but Kahne can easily feel in and have instant success. Unlike the Seattle Seahawks, Kahne can overcome adversity and is a great team player. Oh, and like Brady he’s cute too. That’s a bonus for female fans.

7)   Denny Hamlin- Whether dancing like NY Giants wide receiver Victor Cruz or performing a Terrell Owens like celebration, Hamlin brings it every week. He’s entertaining, a great driver, and could teach my team a thing or two about style.

8)   Austin Dillon- The Dallas Cowboys would seem like the perfect place for Dillon, as he is a real cowboy. But, I picked Austin for his determination. Like Cowboys Owner Jerry Jones, he’s determined to be successful. Ironically Jones has won three Super Bowls and Austin drives the 3 car.

9)   Ryan Blaney- Hmmm, a rookie on my draft team, that can’t be right can it? Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan was a rookie and did pretty well. Blaney’s not old enough to buy ‘natty light’ but a young-talented guy like him is destined for success.

10) Danica Patrick/Dale Earnhardt Jr. – If my team is bad, someone has to bring in the   sponsor money to help pay the bills. Who would be better at that than NASCAR’s 2 biggest stars? I could see them playing a position like center or something. Their not needed in the bigger roles, so why make them suffer more….ooops.




BENCH PLAYERS: Jeff Gordon, Tony Stewart, Timmy Hill, Ty Dillon, and Nelson Piquet Jr.

HEAD COACH: Whom do you think? Joe Gibbs with me as the assistant.



If there were a draft in NASCAR, how would your draft board look?



Follow me and send comments to Twitter:  @Dontae_Allen

No comments:

Post a Comment